Friday, April 06, 2007

Maine



I am obsessed with the state of Maine. I wasn't born there, but I AM from Maine. No where else I've ever lived has felt like home to me. We moved away when my 11 yr old DD was only five months old. It seems like forever....

Maine has been on my mind a lot lately. I'm not exactly sure why, but I SO want to be there now. With every fiber of my being.

My mother and sister live in California. My grandparents have all passed away. I do have an aunt (mom's SIL), a great aunt (who doesn't know me from Adam) , and various cousins who still live there; but there really isn't a compelling reason for me to return. The economy isn't the greatest, and the winters are bitter. Yet, I yearn to drive the Maine Turnpike, and drink a Moxie while eating a whoopie pie (after I've had my italian, of course). In all honesty, I can't stand Moxie, but I know several people who just love it.

Sometimes when I'm missing Maine a lot, I'll listen to one of my Tim Sample tapes and laugh until I cry. Sometimes all it takes is sitting down with one of Stephen King's books to curb the Maine hunger. And then there is my collection of Maine cookbooks assembled by churches, granges, auxiliaries, and other assorted groups to recall my favorite Maine recipes.

I hope it is the good Lord's Will to have me return to live in my beloved Maine one day. If it's not, I have a lifetime of fond memories and photos to cherish. Like the photo above of South Freeport Harbor at Harraseeket Lunch & Lobster Co. in Freeport, Maine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home