Thursday, May 31, 2007

Girl, I love your blog but....

There is a blog I visit. I honestly don't know why I keep going there. It's like rubber-necking an accident on the side of the road. There is SO much nastiness and ugly behavior coming from what we can only assume is grown women. At least that's the demographic it appeals to.

I have no issues with the "owner" of the blog. She had a good idea when she started it. And I appreciate what she's been able to bring to the surface of the community it's visitors belong to. It's been VERY eye-opening.

What I just can't understand is the inane, nameless comments where people stand behind anonymity and rip others to shreds. What kind of person feels that they are fully justified in making another human being feel like they are worthless? What kind of person uses their computer to terrorise an entire group of people? What kind of person feels that the ugliness that lives in their minds really needs to be put down and documented on a blog? What kind of person is so desperate for self-importance that they accuse and threaten without the backbone to sign their name?

I'm not saying there should be blanket censorship. However, we all live with a level of censorship every day. We each know that there are ways we act at home, that wouldn't carry over to church, the grocery store, or work. We also self-limit ourselves to things we don't want to hear, see, or know.

I understand one benefit (or purpose, if you will) of anonymous posting. Now that I've seen how evil some of these women can be, it's no wonder some people don't want anyone to know how they really feel. It most certainly would alter people's perceptions and (dare I say it) buying habits if they knew how downright mean some people were. Would you want to buy from someone that sought to break people down on a daily basis? I think not.

Anonymous posting is overly abused though. It's not used to protect the innocent anymore. It's main purpose seems to be to protect and support people who can't articulate their point in such a way that it is not demeaning to the whole. It just makes the weak-kneed bullies look ignorant, and it takes all the air out of their over-inflated callous comments.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home